Local 612-200-1495
Consumer Justice Center P.A.
Toll Free 800-556-6752
Don’t Feel Bad, Get Mad. Stand Up to Consumer Abuse.
In This Section

Should you make partial car payments?

Your car is going to be repossessed. You don't have enough money on hand to make all of the full payments or pay off the amount that you owe from the missed due dates. Should you still do what you can, sending in a partial payment, or should you stop paying entirely and let the process play out?

While all situations are different, it's worth noting that some experts believe it's best to send in that partial payment. In some cases, the court may even look at that as a settlement or an agreement between you and the lender that you get to keep the car.

For example, maybe you were paying $500 per month. You missed a few payments and you don't have the $1,500 you owe. However, you do have $300. If you send that in and the lender accepts it, the court may say that the right to repossess the car has now been waived.

It's also important to remember that lenders want to take payments and work with you. Repossessing a car is not profitable to them, though they prefer it over letting you keep it without paying. If you reach out to the lender and explain exactly why you can't pay and that you'd like to find another solution, some will work with you so that they eventually get their money and you keep your car.

It's important to know all of your legal options when facing any type of asset forfeiture. Do not assume that there is nothing you can do and be sure you understand your rights.

Source: Shabana Motors, "How to Stop Car Repossession: The Do's and Don'ts," accessed May 04, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers To Your Questions

Contact the Consumer Justice Center. Tommy Lyons can speak with you in a free initial consultation arranged at 800-556-6752, toll free, or by email from wherever you are in the U.S.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Consumer Justice Center P.A.

Consumer Justice Center P.A.
367 Commerce Court
Vadnais Heights, MN 55127

Toll Free: 800-556-6752
Phone: 612-200-1495
Fax: 651-704-0907
Vadnais Heights Law Office Map

  • Facebook
  • Linkedin
  • Twitter